Cub Scouting emphasizes family-centered activities, group activities, learning, and having fun. Parents and brothers are encouraged to become involved. Not only is it more fun that way, but the boys will get more out of the program when it becomes a family event. In order to join, a youth must be in at least the 1st grade or be at least 7 years old. The Pack is divided up into dens of 4-8 boys according to their age; the book and uniform your son will need depends upon which den he enters. Boys who are in the 1st grade (or 7 years old) enter into a Tiger Cub den. Boys in the 2nd or 3rd grade (or ages 8 or 9) enter into a Cub Scout den and work on the ranks Bobcat, Wolf and Bear. Boys in the 4th or 5th grade (or age 10) enter into a Webelos den, and work on the Webelos rank or the Arrow of Light Award. Boys who have completed the 5th grade, or are 11 years old years old can join Boy Scout Troop 228.
Every year, the Cub Scouts have a recruitment drive to get new members for their dens. This is typically done in the fall, since the Cub Scout program somewhat follows the school year. Some Webelos Dens will continue meeting through the summer, preparing the boys for their transition into a Boy Scout Troop which typically meets year-round. Whatever the schedule, each Den will welcome new members at any time they are actively meeting, even outside the traditional recruitment drive. Each spring, the older Cub Scouts graduate into the Boy Scout program.
Our Local Cub Scout Packs
We are sad to report the recent closing of Cub Scout Pack 228, which, like Troop 228 was chartered to Hebron Lions Club and met at Hebron Lutheran Church. However, there are other Cub Scout Packs in the area that will hopefully meet your needs:
- Pack 836 - just a "stone's throw" down the road, meeting at the LDS Church (near the Hebron, Kentucky Kroger grocery store).
- Pack 223 - only a mile or two to our North, meeting at Sandrun Baptist Church (Between the Treetop and Thornwilde subdivisions).
- Pack 122 - a few miles to the South, in Burlington, Kentucky, at First Church of Christ.
- Pack 727 - almost next door to the previous Pack, in Burlington at Immaculate Heart of Mary Church.
- Pack 235 - to our west, serving residents of the Petersburg, Belleview/McVille, and western Burlington area.
To find the contact info and exact locations of these Packs and many others, visit the Be A Scout website.